Muttville's Seniors for Seniors Program
Muttville’s senior dogs are the perfect companions for senior humans. They’re mellow and well socialized, and they want nothing more than the gentle care of someone who loves them.
Our Seniors for Seniors program provides a way for seniors (62+ years old) to bring a furry, loving companion into their lives.
How it works
Prospective adopters must first fill out our Seniors for Seniors Adoption Application and agree to have a home check visit.
After receiving your application, Muttville will help you find your perfect pooch partner. Muttville waives its $200 adoption fee on all Seniors for Seniors adoptions.
Prior to adoption, all Muttville dogs receive a wellness exam from a veterinarian. This includes vaccinations, full body exam, dental exam and other diagnostic tests deemed necessary.
Once an adoption is completed, you’ll receive a customized senior welcome kit. It includes your dog’s name tag, dog bowls, leash, harness and collar, one month supply of food and medication, a doggy bed, and home modifications, such as a doggy gate and stairs, as needed.
No worries! If the match does not work, or you face unexpected future health challenges that result in your being unable to care for your dog, Muttville will happily reassume care of him or her.
Seniors for Seniors adoptions are available to seniors 62+ years of age, who have filled out our Seniors for Seniors Adoption Application and agreed to a home-check visit.
The benefits of companion animals
Scientific studies have shown that pets provide real health benefits to the humans who care for them:
Read stories below from seniors who have discovered the joy of a Muttville mutt.
How to get started
Fill out our online Seniors for Seniors Adoption Application. After you do, we’ll get in touch and help you find the perfect senior dog for you.
Questions? Please email email@example.com.
Top Ten Reasons a Senior Should Adopt a Senior Dog
1. LOVE: The joy your dog will have every time you walk into the room can only be called unconditional love.
2. COMPANIONSHIP: You’ll never feel lonely with your dog at your side. From taking walks, to watching your favorite soap opera together, to taking joy rides in your RV, your dog will be happy keeping you company wherever you may go.
3. HEALTH: Lower stress? Check! Reduced risk of heart disease? Check! Decreased depression and anxiety? Check! – Owning a pet may be your most affordable and reliable health care policy!
4. PROTECTION: Two heads are better than one, and safer too! Your dog will help you feel more secure and protected.
5. ENGAGEMENT: Your friends may be settled and your children all grown up, but your dog needs and values daily care and attention. Adopting a dog will keep you actively involved in the life of another.
6. AFFECTION: You will never lack for snuggles with a loving dog at home! Senior dogs are super grateful for a second chance at love. But unlike those frisky puppies, they won’t jump up on you and your friends.
7. NEW FRIENDS: Walking a cute dog down the street can be like walking the red carpet! You and your dog will meet new people and make new dog-loving friends.
8. EXPLORATION: Maybe you will be inspired to make homemade dog biscuits for the first time or go on a search for dog-friendly cafes in your neighborhood. No matter the adventure, you will try new things and explore new territory through caring for your dog!
9. EASY WALKS: Senior dogs are more mellow and easier on the leash. You will get daily low-impact exercise with your pet.
10. LAUGHTER: Have you ever seen a dog chasing her tail or making sure his reflection knows who’s the boss? Your dog will quickly become your favorite comedian!
Terry and her husband always had dogs when their four daughters were growing up. But since the kids left home and the family pets passed away, it had been nearly ten years since a dog had graced their home. “There was a void,” Terry says. “I really missed having a dog.”
An added complication was Terry’s breast cancer diagnosis. About … more »
When Ed’s wife passed away from cancer, he felt “very lonely.” A retired manager with the Vallejo school district, he was no longer sure how to fill his days. His daughter, Tracy, brought him to Muttville to meet Felicity, a spunky poodle in need of a home.
Felicity came to Muttville from a high-kill shelter in Los … more »
In Lynn’s words:
I began an online search for our next dog six months after Hootie, our terrier mix, died of a heart attack two weeks before his sixteenth birthday. My husband, Lee, and I were still grieving and might have waited awhile before taking on another dog, but our eight-year-old Roxie, a senior herself, … more »
SPEND SOME TIME SNUGGLING WITH A SENIOR AT MUTTVILLE'S
Come cuddle with a Muttville mutt! Muttville’s Cuddle Club is a unique opportunity for senior citizens to visit our new facility and spend time with our wonderful senior dogs in a home-like community space.
We know not everyone may be able to adopt a dog, and we don’t want that to get in the way of receiving the special love that one of our gentle, loving rescued senior dogs can give! Cuddle Club, separate from our adoption events, is an opportunity for seniors to spend a lovely afternoon snuggling up with some of our adorable mutts.
Our dogs cherish the chance to score some extra snuggle time, and you’ll love the wags, the kisses and the contented sighs that come along with the cuddles. Plus, you’ll also be helping our doggies feel comfortable in their new environment as they make the transition to their new forever homes.
If you are senior citizen living in the Bay Area, and would like to spend some time snuggling with our older mutts on the sofa, please let us know!
Contact Muttville at firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a Cuddle Club event for your organization or to find out when we have our next one scheduled.
There will be plenty of socializing, petting, walking, and, of course, cuddling. Join us!